Some of you may have noticed that Prickly Pear Week came to an abrupt stop with no explanation.
Well, it turned into a Pinstrosity of it's own. Without going into details (because you don't want them)...I forgot one important thing about Prickly Pear fruit. They are very high in fiber. And I totally didn't think of that when I was putting the prickly pear juice in everything we ate that week (morning smoothies, lemonade, cupcakes, waffles, marinades, etc). So for the sake of our internal systems, it had to stop immediately.
But I did want to share one recipe with you that we came up with that we LOVE! Prickly Pear Barbecue Sauce!
That's not all it makes...that's just what's left and only because I had to save some to take a picture of.
This sauce is tangy, slightly sweet, and has an amazing flavor and color! After reading a number of barbecue sauce recipes, we combined tactics on some, used a regular barbecue recipe as our base, and then jumped in!
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS flour
- 3 TBS brown sugar
- 3 TBS sugar
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups prickly pear juice
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium saucepan until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking until smooth.
- Simmer the mixture for 50 minutes, or until the sauce reaches your desired thickness
- Store in a sealed, glass jar in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.